We are proud to be the only luxury hotel group in the UK to offer our team members the opportunity to join our Wine School, led by our Head of Wines, Louise Gordon.
This unique programme allows aspiring wine experts to earn and learn in one of our stunning properties while gaining invaluable qualifications and experience.
The purpose of the Wine School is to ensure each hotel has at least two wine experts that can confidently speak, train and upsell wines.
The Wine School will equip these team members with the knowledge and expertise to become the wine experts at their hotel and ensure they have the right skills, knowledge and confidence to fulfil their roles as wine experts.
The Wine School's key aims are to:
• Attract the very best young talent directly to Hand Picked Hotels.
• Provide our employees with a programme that furnishes them with the very best skills.
• Create a unique learning environment and development programme that is inspiring and creative.
• Build a strong relationship between Hand Picked Hotels and our apprentices, embedding employer values and creating employee loyalty.
• Create a career path to suit ambitious young sommeliers while encouraging them to build their experience within Hand Picked Hotels.
The Wine School is for any team members who have passed their probation and obtained WSET Level 2 at Merit or above. They will serve as the hotels’ wine ambassadors and will spend a year being mentored by Louise Gordon, Hand Picked Hotels’ Head of Wines and immersed in the industry.
The programme will develop service, sales skills and product knowledge of team members at their hotel by creating a training plan to pass on their wine knowledge learned from the Wine School. Throughout their training, they will be supported by the Head of Wine and will work with other holders of the WSET level 3 qualification in the hotel to drive enthusiasm for wines and use their skills and knowledge, developing them further.
This is a 12 month programme which will include visits to our suppliers including our own vineyard and overseas trips.