With the help of our Executive Head Chef Andrew Soddy, learn how to create Chancre Crab Linguine which is served on the Terrace at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa.
This dish is one of our bestselling simply due to the locally caught crab we’re lucky enough to have around our island.
Crab is available ready picked or still in the shell and often served in sandwiches or with a salad. A long leisurely lunch spent picking crab over a glass of white wine with good company is an experience not to be missed. There are two types of crab meat; the white meat and the brown meat. The white meat from the claws and legs is most often used in sandwiches and served with salad. The richer brown meat from inside the shell can be used as Pâté and is a favourite with the locals who savour the rich flavour and texture.
We have an abundance of brown crab on the island or as we know it over here, ‘Chancre Crab’. Jersey is renowned for its fresh, locally caught seafood and our local supplier provides several of the top hotels and restaurants in Oxford and London with their fish and seafood due to it being the best quality.
Did you know the ‘chancre crab’ is such an important part of local life it even features on Guernsey coinage?
Chancre Crab Linguine - Serves 2
- 500g Linguine (dried or fresh)
- 100g white crab meat
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1 grated lemon zest
- 4 overripe vine tomatoes (blitzed)
- Parsley, minced
- Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped for garnish
- Lightly sauté the garlic, chilli, flat-leaf parsley, lemon zest and spring onions in the extra-virgin olive oil for 2-3 minutes and then add the fresh tomato purée and the crab meat. Season with Maldon sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add Maldon sea salt to a large pan of water and cook the pasta to guidelines on the pack.
- Add the cooked linguine to the sauce and gently stir together.