From ancient beliefs to current day trends, colour therapy extends across a whole spectrum of activities in our modern day society, enjoyed by the young and the old and anyone in between!
There is no better time to explore a few new ways to relax and unwind using colour and here are just a few…
The top 7 benefits of colouring for adults:
1. Experts believe that your brain experiences relief by entering a meditative state
2. You can reduce stress and anxiety levels whilst you focus the mind on something else. Negative thoughts are expelled as you are distracted by the colouring
3. It can improve motor skills and vision. Colouring requires the two hemispheres of the brain to communicate. While logic helps us stay inside the lines, choosing colours generates a creative thought process
4. Focusing on the present can help you achieve mindfulness
5. Unplugging from technology allows us to be creative, breaking the monotony of screen time
6. Colouring can be done by anyone, anywhere
7. Colouring can help relax the brain and improve sleep
Images can be downloaded online or found in a plethora of available books online, so why not give it a go!
Historically, crystals were touted as ancient forms of medicine, with philosophies borrowed from Hinduism and Buddhism. However, it’s important to know that there’s no scientific evidence to support the use of crystals. Despite this, people are still drawn to their colours and beauty.
There are a number of different types of crystals, each filled with their own ‘so called’ healing abilities for the mind, body, and soul. They’re thought to promote the flow of good energy and help rid the body and mind of negative energy for physical and emotional benefits.
There are hundreds to explore here are 7 popular ones to get you started …
1. Amethyst – enhances intuition, encourages tranquillity and stability, aids meditation, helps headaches and handovers and calms the mind
2. Rose Quartz – also known as the ‘love crystal’, promotes self-love, heals the heart, helps attract love, protects relationships and raises self-confidence.
3. Emerald – Promotes focus, encourages sensitivity, enhances friendship, provides contentment and loyalty and aids recovery
4. Celestine – Promotes mental and physical peace, boosts natural intuition and provides clarity
5. Quartz – symbolises purity, stimulates your brain and immune system, increases perception and enhances relaxation
6. Moonstone – new beginnings, encourage inner growth and strength, promotes positive thinking
7. Jasper – ‘nurturer’, support though times of stress, helps you ‘show up’, protects from negativity and promotes courage, quick thinking and confidence
Just let your intuition choose what’s best for you. Whether a crystal catches your eye or you can feel a physical pull toward one, your inner subconscious will help guide you to the crystal that’s right for you.
Colour chakra therapy is a complementary therapy which uses the wave lengths of the visible spectrum to treat perceived imbalances in the body. Many colour therapists believe that the seven colours of the rainbow relate to the body's seven main chakras.
Chakra balancing can be practiced (amongst other ways) via yoga and reiki
The 7 chakras explained:
1) Root Chakra – red
Location: The centre is located at the base of your spine.
Colour Psychology: Red is a very physical colour. It promotes a feeling of being grounded and connected to the earth. This colour brings to mind thoughts and feelings of survival and instinct. Red can make you feel alert, vigilant and primal.
2) Sacral Chakra – Orange
Location: The centre is located a few inches below your belly button.
Colour Psychology: Orange is an energizing and creative colour. It promotes a feeling of warmth and security. This colour brings to mind thoughts and feelings of passion, pleasure and sexuality. Orange can make you feel sensual, safe and abundant.
3) Solar Plexus Chakra - Yellow
Location: The centre is located a few inches above your belly button.
Colour Psychology: Yellow is a strong emotional colour. It promotes a feeling of being confident and friendly. This colour brings to mind thoughts and feelings of courage, optimism and self-esteem. Yellow can make you feel stimulated, prepared and capable.
4) Heart Chakra - Green
Location: The centre is located in the centre of your chest.
Colour Psychology: Green is a healthy colour. It promotes a general feeling of well-being and good health.. This colour brings to mind thoughts and feelings of compassion, kindness and love. Green can make you feel healthy, alert and empathetic.
5) Throat Chakra – Blue
Location: The centre is located in between your collar bones.
Colour Psychology: Blue is an intellectual colour. It promotes a feeling of being intelligent and trustworthy. This colour brings to mind thoughts and feelings of logic, communication and duty. Blue can make you smart, efficient and well-spoken.
6) Eye Chakra - Indigo
Location: The centre is located slightly above the centre between your eyebrows.
Colour Psychology: Indigo is a very spiritual colour. It promotes a feeling of being wise and spiritually developed. This colour brings to mind thoughts and feelings of psychic energy, self-awareness and peace. Indigo can make you wise, intuitive and magical.
7) Crown Chakra – White
Location: The centre is located at the top of your head.
Colour Psychology: Violet and white are universal colours. They promote feelings of being connected with all. These colours bring to mind thoughts and feelings of spirituality, oneness and meditation. Violet and white can make you feel evolved, exalted and spiritually awake.