History of Afternoon Tea
Before the 19th century tea was taken as a digestive drink at any time of the day. Anna, the 7th Duchess of Bedford is responsible for the “ritual” of the afternoon tea at the beginning of the 19th century.
Please select a date, the number of guests and whether it is dinner, lunch or afternoon tea that you are checking availability for.
If you have any other requests, please call us or make an enquiry.
T: 0845 072 7485
The story goes as follows:
At the time it was usual for people to take only 2 meals a day, breakfast and dinner at around 8 o’clock in the evening.
The solution for the Duchess was a pot of tea and a light snack, taken privately in her boudoir during the afternoon. Very soon the Duchess was inviting her aristocratic friends to join her for afternoon tea, at 4 o’clock. Only the best porcelain, fine linen table cloths were used, accompanied by dainty sandwiches and delicate cakes.
Everyone dressed in their best fashions and spend the afternoon discussing the latest news about London and afar. Between 1830 and 1900 afternoon tea developed as an accepted part of British life style.
At Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa we delight guests with our traditional afternoon tea. What better place to enjoy this fine tradition than in one of our lounges or Cloisters Restaurant in this historic country house.
Available Monday ~ Sunday
The Keats Afternoon Tea:
- Selection of finger sandwiches to include: Egg mayonnaise & cress, honey glazed ham & mustard, smoked salmon & creme fraiche, cucumber & cream cheese with chive
- Traditional scones, fruit scones, homemade preserves and clotted cream
- Passionfruit swan meringues, blueberry & almond tart, battenburg, chocolate gateau
- Full selection of leaf teas, coffee or hot chocolate
£24.90 per person - for a special treat add a glass of Champagne for £9.00 or rosé Champagne for £13.50
(The above menu is a sample only)
Little Ones Afternoon Tea (available for children up to 12 years)
- Fingers sandwiches including chicken & mayonnaise, ham, cheese
- Fruit skewer
- Hot chocolate
£9.95 per child