For the Venison and Oxtail Faggot:
1. Roughly Chop and sweat off onion, celery, carrots, fennel seeds and cinnamon stick.
2. Seal off oxtail in the same pan until coloured.
3. Deglaze with red wine then add the port.
4. Cover with the veal stock and cook on a low heat for about 3 hours until tender.
5. When cooked, remove the oxtail and flake off the meat discarding the bones and fatty tissue. Strain the liquor through a fine sieve and place back into a saucepan.
6. Reduce to thicken and reserve.
7. Flake down the oxtail and add a little of the reduced cooking liquor to moisten and season the mixture.
8. Wash the pigs caul and lay a piece on the work top.
9. In the centre place a ball of the oxtail mix and wrap the caul around. Trim off any excess and repeat 4 times. Reserve.
10. Remove any sinew from the venison. Seal in a frying pan and season.
11. Place in the oven for approx 8 – 10 mins at 190oc. Repeat the process with the oxtail faggot.
For the Chocolate Oil:
1. Put all ingredients together in a bowl and heat over a Bain Marie and whisk.
For the Poached Pears:
1. Bring red wine, sugar, cloves, cinnamon and anise to boil.
2. Peel the pears and place into the hot liquor and cook until soft.
3. Allow to cool in the cooking liquor.
1. On one side of the plate place a small mound of red cabbage.
2. Take the pears out and cut into 6 segments and remove the core. Place 3 pieces onto the red cabbage.
3. Slice the venison and place on top.
4. On the other side of the plate place the faggot on top of a fondant potato.
5. Pour over a little of the sauce and drizzle with a little chocolate oil.