Hotels in Derbyshire
The Priest House Hotel Castle Donington Derbyshire
The Priest House Hotel Castle Donington, Derbyshire, is perched in a picturesque setting on the banks of the River Trent. The original watermills on the site of The Priest House were mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086. Today, this is a country house with a difference.
There is plenty to see and do in Derby. This county has it all, a selection of top visitors attractions as well as parks and gardens.
Things to do around Derbyshire
Calke Abbey country house
Calke Abbey country house, park and garden where time has stood still:
- One of the Trust's most child-friendly and fun properties
- Baroque mansion with unique collections of curiosities
- Stunning 18th-century Chinese silk bed
- Invisible corridors, underground tunnels and a secret garden
- Enchanting walled-gardens and restored Orangery
- Calke Park is a National Nature Reserve set in over 240 hectares (600 acres)
What's new this year? New children's play area. House conservation tours. Riding school open for public viewing, functions and events.
Spectacular 18th-century mansion with Adam interiors, pleasure ground and parkland.
- Masterpiece of neo-classical architecture, designed by Robert Adam in the 1760s
- Luxurious state rooms retaining their original collections of paintings, sculpture and furniture
- Take a trip back in time with our 18th-century costumed housekeeper, Mrs Garnett (most open days)
- Eastern Museum filled with collections of Lord Curzon (1899-1905), Viceroy of India
- Discover how Kedleston was used as a location for The Duchess starring Keira Knightley and see costumes from the film
- 330 hectares (820 acres) of open parkland, with cascades, lakes and four marked walks
What's new this year?
Exhibition showing how the interiors were transformed and cared for during the filming of The Duchess. Housekeeping-themed events to commemorate 200 years since long-serving housekeeper, Mrs Garnett, passed away
Unleash a torrent of fun at the a Theme Park!
There's a theme park full of rides and adventures for kids of all sizes and adrenaline addicted adults... It's an absolute must-do day out! There’s something for the whole family, with tons of terrific rides, amazing live shows, and weird and wonderful costume characters.
Alton Towers /..more information
Drayton Manor /..more information
CONKERS, the award winning attraction at The Heart of the National Forest, a unique mix of indoor and outdoor experiences to keep you and your family engaged for hours. Five miles from Junction 11 off the M42.
Indoors there are four discovery zones designed for children and adults of all ages, which also includes the Enchanted Forest Adventure Play area, a simulated Tree Top Walk – a moving bridge through the skies.
Attenborough Nature Centre
Attenborough Nature Centre is an award winning Visitor and Education facility surrounded by the tranquil waters of the beautiful Attenborough Nature Reserve. Situated within easy reach of Nottingham and Derby the Centre provides a “lifleline to the natural world”.